Friday, February 18, 2005

We shall never forget:

A conversation I had several years ago with the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control:

Science agency drone (me): "Hello. I have a question about financial transactions involving the Cuban government."

OFAC drone: "No financial transactions transferring funds to Cuba are allowed."

Science agency drone:"...yes, I am aware of that. In this case, Cuba is wanting to pay its membership dues to an international organization currently headquartered in the U.S."

OFAC drone: "No financial transactions transferring funds to Cuba are allowed."

Science agency drone:"...umm, I think you misunderstood. Cuba wants to send funds here. This is not a case of U.S. funds going to Cuba, but Cuban funds coming to the United States."

OFAC drone: "...huh. Well, then we would have to seize the funds as war reparations."

Science agency drone:"...war reparations? You mean, like for the Maine?"

OFAC drone: "Yes. For the Maine."

Science agency drone:"Wow. I'll tell them that they should consider being delinquent on their dues."

OFAC drone:"Yeah, I guess so. Have a good day."

Science agency drone: "You too. Bye."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I thought my life was non-linear.....

He who was once known as Paul's Officemate, Handy Excuse in Times of Need, and Aspirin Fetcher.