Thursday, July 07, 2005

L. Patrick Gray III:

Pat Gray died yesterday.

He was best known to the world as the successor to J. Edgar Hoover as the Acting Director of the FBI, and for his role in the Watergate scandal, which occurred during his confirmation hearing in the Senate Committee on the Judiciary in February-March of 1973 (Time magazine archive). He was ultimately pilloried. Lately, he was again in the news because 'Deep Throat' was his deputy, W. Mark Felt.

However, I remember him more for taking me down into the shooting range at the FBI building, and then giving me the target silhouette full of bullet holes. Now that was interesting to a nine-year old. Never mind all this political stuff going on... I didn't realize that I had just met a lot of folks who were about to have an annus horribilis: Rosemary Woods, Ron Ziegler, David Gergen...


Visit to FBI Posted by Picasa

I'm the little monkey in the red sweater.

No comments: