Friday, January 10, 2003

John A. Barry:

An example of the technobabble I am faced with on a daily basis: "Spatial referencing simply means that geo-coded elements in the data relate information to a place which leads to the types of places that are identified as and conform to a Digital Earth metaphor." Uh-huh. Social scientists. Sheesh.

I'll have to go back and re-read my own doctoral thesis now that I have had the benefit of a decade to forget what I was working on. I'm sure I specialized in my own technobabble... I remember looking at Chi-squared distributions in the complex domain, in order to look at errors in frequency analysis. So long ago, so long. Thank goodness, because it was a really bitter stage in my life. Oh-oh. I promised myself never to type things like that... since blogs are so damned depressing anyway. Heh.