Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Rachel Carson:

Last weekend, as our neighbours drove us to dinner in their Ford M-1 Abrams, we were discussing my past lust for a Hummer. You see, I work on environmental issues, so there is a conflict. It's like PETA members wearing fur coats to the circus. I have to say that I have reasoned my way out of this lust, although I do occasionally succumb to it momentarily. I used to think that it was a no-net gain situation, where my daily work would compensate for the damage I would do, but my wife suggested that outsiders might think that I was just trying to guarantee my job in perpetuity...

Perhaps SUV owners should be able to participate in carbon trading permits. But I have also come to the conclusion that most SUV owners would have no idea what I was talking about. Heck, most car owners have no idea what they are. This made me wonder about who the most destructive segment of the population are, and I have to say that real estate developers are way up there. I know that real estate clears more forest acreage by far than the entire wood, pulp & paper industry combined. But of course that is for our convenience, and it is usually political suicide to suggest limiting urban growth in those places where forests are being cleared.

Labels: ,